The Tempest Weather System integrates with the most popular third party apps & products, including Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Rachio, SailFlow, iKitesurf, iWindsurf, FishWeather, WindAlert (apps and websites) and hundreds more through IFTTT.
Amazon Echo (Alexa) & Google Home
Link your Tempest account to your favorite smart speaker and then you can ask for the current conditions and forecast for your station's location. See the Integrations section in the Tempest app for more details.
Note: Only the English-speaking option is currently available. If you have multiple stations on your account, Google Home will return the first station on the account.
IFTTT (If This Then That) is a free and easy way to do more with data from your Tempest System. Link your Tempest account to IFTTT and use your weather data to trigger actions in hundreds of other apps & products including Twitter, Dropbox, Nest, Fitbit, Rachio, and countless others. See more on using IFTTT with Tempest.
Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller
The Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller can use weather data from the Tempest System to be even more efficient. The simplest way to integrate your Tempest with your Rachio controller is with IFTTT. Visit the Tempest/Rachio IFTTT connection page to activate the rain delay, wind skip, freeze skip or freeze activate IFTTT applets. Or create your own applets using the ingredients and actions available in the Tempest & Rachio services! See full details on Tempest integration with Rachio.
You can configure Siri Shortcuts by going to Settings -> Siri Shortcuts. Two shortcuts are provided: Current Conditions and Detailed Current Conditions. Both will display the same UI elements, however, they differ in the length of Siri’s spoken response. If you have more than one station, you can choose which station you would like to use while configuring the shortcut (and you can configure a shortcut for each station if you want). For more advanced users, the Current Conditions output is available in the Shortcuts app.
Third Party Applications
Tempest data can be accessed remotely as well as on your local network (even when the internet connection is down), which means your smart home system doesn't have to rely on your Internet connection. Tempest is supported by a growing list of third-party platforms that can take advantage of this feature.
Here are just some of the ways to use weather observation and forecast data from the Tempest System with your smart home tech:
- Adjust your irrigation schedule based on the rain that's fallen... or the rain that's forecast to fall
- Turn on attic exhaust fans if the temperature is high
- Turn on ceiling fans if the temperature is high
- Turn on whole house attic fan & turn off the AC if the outside temperature is cooler than inside
- Turn on outside accent lighting when light level falls below a set limit
- Turn on an engine block heater on work days when the outside temperature is close to freezing
- Adjust heating/cooling levels based on the temperature and humidity forecast
- Adjust indoor lighting levels based on outdoor sunlight levels
- Adjust awning and shade positions based on ambient light, solar radiation, wind, etc
In addition to direct integration with your smart home systems, there's also a growing list of devices and software that let you do all sorts of things with the data from your Tempest System.
Learn more about available third party applications.
Integration with your smart home technology is simple but even more complex integrations are possible with our rich set of developer tools. The Tempest System exposes a collection of self-service APIs and documentation that make it easy for developers to build apps and integrations that access data on behalf of a Tempest station owner. For more information, please visit the Tempest Developer documentation.
The option to link Tempest to WU is only available on the website, not the mobile app.
Tempest can send data directly to a Weather Underground PWS, here's how to set up a data feed...
- Log in to your account on WeatherUnderground.com
- Go to My Profile > My Weather Stations > Click the button ‘Add new PWS’ > Choose "WeatherFlow" and finish setting up your PWS on the Weather Underground website.
- Gather your new Weather Underground PWS station ID and station key
- Sign in to your Tempest account on the web: https://tempestwx.com/
Then go to settings > stations > select your station > Public Data > Link Weather Underground > enter your WU PWS station ID and key > (optional) toggle rain > Link
Note: If you do not see the option to link to WU, please contact us for assistance.
It can take 30 minutes to an hour before WU starts publishing your station data on their websites and apps. This process could take longer at times.
The "Share Publicly" setting must be enabled for integration services to work. Open the app, go to Settings > Stations > choose your station > Public Data > make sure the "Share Publicly" setting is toggled on.