Your Smart Weather station is specifically designed to measure the unique environmental conditions around your immediate location. Where you choose to locate your sensors will have a significant impact on the quality of your weather data. AIR and SKY can be up to 1000 ft (300 m) away from the Hub with no obstructions. Most of the time, your data will differ from a nearby weather station - because it's in a different location! A home station should measure the conditions at YOUR home, and allow you to make decisions accordingly.
AIR was designed to be placed in full shade. The small and wireless form factor allows you to move the device easily from season to season as the sun angles change. For proper measurement of temperature, humidity, pressure, and lightning, locate your AIR as follows:
- Outside and at least 3 feet off the ground, ideally at eye level
- In full shade. If you don't have a location that's in full shade all day, consider purchasing a simple "radiation shield" like this one on Amazon: http://a.co/f3IhWnt
- Away from potential sources of extra heat and moisture (such as sprinklers, air vents, brick and other dark surfaces)
- Orient vertically for the best lightning detection performance.
- Away from nearby sources of electromagnetic interference, such as antennas and electric fences.
Mounting: AIR can stand alone or be mounted (preferably upright) using the keyhole slot or by 1/4"-20 thread. A simple mount for AIR that we recommend: http://a.co/9mBeXGv
Orientation: AIR should be at least vertical for the most effective lightning detection. Proper moisture shedding requires the AIR to remain upright unless the AIR is shielded from water and condensing dew.
Note: If your humidity reading seems high (or low), remember that AIR is reporting hyper-local conditions. An accurate measurement may differ dramatically from other sources you're used to. Remember, this is YOUR WEATHER, not the weather from the Airport that your phone or the TV news reports. Your yard has its own 'micro-climate' and will report the truth of the exact location where your AIR is sited: that means it will be wetter near things like trees, ground cover, wet decks, dryer vents, etc. And ambient temperature will be higher closer to surfaces receiving direct sun.
- In full view of the sky all day long.
- With unobstructed exposure to wind from all directions as possible.
- At least 10 feet above any surface (ground, roof, etc) for best results.
- Away from trees and shade which can obstruct the sensors.
Mounting: Sky features a compression mount to accommodate both a standard nominal “one-inch” pipe (outer diameter = 1.315 inches, or 33.40 mm) which is common at DIY stores around the world as well as a 1.25” (31.75 mm) outer diameter pole, another commonly available size.