Hello! Let’s get your Tempest system up and running...
- Download and launch the Tempest Weather app.
- Enable Bluetooth and follow the steps in the app to configure your devices.
- Once set up is complete, install your Tempest device outdoors with exposure to wind, rain, and sun. View the Siting and Installation Guide for detailed information.
Yep, it's that easy! Enjoy weather data right from your backyard along with hyper-local forecasts all in the Tempest app.
- Hub Placement: Plug the Hub (base station) into a power outlet indoors within range of your WiFi network signal. The Hub can only connect to a 2.4GHz network which offers greater range and less interference, it doesn't need the bandwidth 5GHz frequencies offer.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE): You can access data locally from the Hub over Bluetooth (no internet connection required) but be sure you are within close proximity to the Hub. A blue LED will illuminate on the back of the Hub while the app is open and connected over Bluetooth to a smartphone or tablet. If using an Android device, be sure to enable location services in order for BLE services to function properly.
- Pairing mode on the sensor devices: Devices need to be in pairing mode in order to properly connect with the station's Hub, indicated by a slow blinking green LED on the base of the device.
- Naming your station and devices: Give your station and sensor devices a familiar name if you wish; you can describe their locations in your town, neighborhood or backyard. Go into the app settings and choose the station and/or its connected devices to edit the information.
- Delete data after initial setup and installation: You're going to notice false rain readings while handling your Tempest. Wipe your station's observation record clean after you are finished mounting your Tempest device(s). Go to settings > stations > choose your station > manage devices > choose the device > advanced > delete all data.
See below some common setup issues and their resolutions or see Troubleshooting tips.
- App cannot connect to Bluetooth
If the app is unable to connect to your Hub via Bluetooth Low Energy...
1. Check that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone or tablet - if using an Android device, be sure to enable location services in order for Bluetooth to function properly.
2. Make sure you are within 10 feet of the Hub
3. Close the app completely, then relaunch it
4. When connected to the Hub via Bluetooth, a blue light will appear on the back of the Hub
- App does not find my WiFi network
If the app is unable to locate your desired WiFi network tap ‘Refresh’ in the upper right corner of the app screen for WiFi network selection. If that doesn’t work then reboot your WiFi router. For hidden SSID's select Manual Setup.
- App does not find my Tempest device
Reset and power cycle the device...
1. Reset: On the base of the unit, press and hold the LED button and release after the LED flashes green.
2. Power cycle: On the base of the unit, flip the switch off and then back on. The LED will turn solid green and then begin slowly blinking green indicating the device is in pairing mode.
3. Continue with adding the device to the station Hub in the app.
- Download the ‘Tempest Weather’ mobile app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Enable Bluetooth on your smartphone or tablet and launch the app. If using an Android device, be sure to enable location services in order for Bluetooth connection services to function properly.
- Create a username (e-mail) and password. (Write it down so you don’t forget!)
- Now tap “Setup Station” to configure your weather station hardware.
- Plug in the Hub. Tap the NEXT button and proceed with setup.
- Twist off the base of your Tempest device. (It's water tight - twist hard!). Tap NEXT and proceed.
- Enter your Hub's serial number (located on a sticker on the bottom of your Hub). Tap the NEXT button.
- Name your station. (If you're not feeling creative perhaps pick a name that reflects the physical location such as NW River Bend or even the town/city and street name works.)
- Tap "Set" to set the geographic location. A map should appear to pinpoint your geographic location (make sure location services on your phone or tablet are enabled). You can drag the map around to adjust the pin location if needed. Once the pin is in the desired location, click the check mark in the top right corner. Elevation above sea level is automatically determined based on the geographic location. Tap NEXT and proceed.
- Give your Tempest device a familiar name (e.g. you can describe the area where it's located, "Fence" or "Roof"). Choose if the device will be located outdoors or indoors. Input the approximate height you will place the device above the ground. Then tap the "Save" button.
- Gather your WiFi network name and password. Tap NEXT.
- Select your your 2.4GHz WiFi network. Enter your WiFi password. If you don’t see your desired WiFi network, tap "Refresh" in the upper right and/or reboot your WiFi router if you're still having trouble. For hidden SSID's select Manual Setup and enter the name of your network.
- Success! Wait about 5 minutes for the initial sensor data to start filling in. Now it's time to site and install your Tempest device. See the Siting and Installation Guide for detailed instructions.