Hello! Let’s get your Tempest system up and running...
- Download and launch the Tempest Weather app.
- Enable Bluetooth and follow the steps in the app to configure your devices.
- Once set up is complete, install your Tempest device outdoors with exposure to wind, rain, and sun. View the Siting and Installation Guide for detailed information.
Yep, it's that easy! Enjoy weather data right from your backyard along with hyper-local forecasts all in the Tempest app.
Initial Setup Tips
Configure your station in the mobile app before installing the Tempest device outdoors. The hardware (Hub + Tempest device) can only be configured to one account at a time. You can share the account login or the public URL generated for your station after it's set up.
- Hub Placement: Plug the Hub (base station) into a power outlet indoors within range of your WiFi network signal. The Hub can only connect to a 2.4GHz network which offers greater range and less interference, it doesn't need the bandwidth 5GHz frequencies offer.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE): You can access data locally from the Hub over Bluetooth (no internet connection required) but be sure you are within close proximity to the Hub. A blue LED will illuminate on the back of the Hub while the app is open and connected over Bluetooth to a smartphone or tablet. If using an Android device, be sure to enable location services in order for BLE services to function properly.
- Pairing mode on the sensor devices: Devices need to be in pairing mode in order to properly connect with the station's Hub, indicated by a slow blinking green LED on the base of the device.
- Naming your station and devices: Give your station and sensor devices a familiar name if you wish; you can describe their locations in your town, neighborhood or backyard. Go into the app settings and choose the station and/or its connected devices to edit the information.
- Delete data after initial setup and installation: You're going to notice false rain readings while handling your Tempest. Wipe your station's observation record clean after you are finished mounting your Tempest device(s). Go to settings > stations > choose your station > manage devices > choose the device > advanced > delete all data.
Download the app and create an account
- Download the ‘Tempest Weather’ mobile app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Enable Bluetooth on your smartphone or tablet and launch the app. If you are using an Android device, be sure to enable location services in order for Bluetooth connection services to function properly.
- Enter an email address and password. (Write it down so you don’t forget!)
The hardware (Hub + Tempest device) can only be configured to one account at a time. You can share the account login or the public URL generated for your station after it's set up.
Mobile app setup walk-through
- Now tap “Setup Station” and follow the guided steps in the app to configure your hardware to a 'station'. A station consists of a Hub and connected sensor devices, e.g. the Tempest device.
- Plug in the Hub. Tap the NEXT button and proceed with setup.
- Twist off the base of your Tempest device. (It's water tight - twist hard!). Tap NEXT and proceed.
- Enter your Hub's serial number (located on a sticker on the bottom of your Hub). Tap the NEXT button.
- Name your station. (We suggest you pick a name that describes the location such as "NW River Bend" or even the town/city and street name works great.)
- Tap "Set" to set the geographic location. A map should appear to pinpoint your geographic location (make sure location services on your phone or tablet are enabled). You can drag the map around to adjust the pinned location if necessary. Once the pin is in the desired location, tap the check mark in the top right corner. Tap NEXT and proceed.
Elevation above sea level is automatically determined based on the geographic location.
Connect the Hub to your WiFi network
- Gather your WiFi network name and password. Tap NEXT.
- Select your your 2.4GHz WiFi network. Enter your WiFi password. If you don’t see your desired WiFi network, tap "Refresh" in the upper right and/or reboot your WiFi router if you're still having trouble. For hidden SSID's select Manual Setup and enter the name of your network. See troubleshooting tips below if you're getting stuck.
- Success! Wait about 5 minutes for the initial sensor data to start filling in.
Siting and Installation of the Tempest device
- Now it's time to site and install your Tempest device. See the Siting and Installation Guide for detailed instructions.
Check out the Community Forum!
Chat with other station owners, meteorologists, weather enthusiasts, developers and WeatherFlow staff and stay up to date on everything Tempest.
See below some common setup issues and their resolutions or see Troubleshooting tips.
- App cannot connect to Bluetooth
If the app is unable to connect to your Hub via Bluetooth Low Energy...
1. Check that Bluetooth is enabled on your phone or tablet - if using an Android device, be sure to enable location services in order for Bluetooth to function properly.
2. Make sure you are within 10 feet of the Hub
3. Close the app completely, then relaunch it
4. When connected to the Hub via Bluetooth, a blue light will appear on the back of the Hub
- App does not find my WiFi network
If the app is unable to locate your desired WiFi network tap ‘Refresh’ in the upper right corner of the app screen for WiFi network selection. If that doesn’t work then reboot your WiFi router. For hidden SSID's select Manual Setup.
- App does not find my Tempest device
Reset and power cycle the device...
1. Reset: On the base of the unit, press and hold the LED button and release after the LED flashes green.
2. Power cycle: On the base of the unit, flip the switch off and then back on. The LED will turn solid green and then begin slowly blinking green indicating the device is in pairing mode.
3. Continue with adding the device to the station Hub in the app.
|I can't download the app to setup the Tempest System.||The mobile app is required to configure the Hub & Tempest. The app is only available on the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. See if you can borrow an Android or iOS device from a friend in order to setup the station. After setup, you can view your data from the web.|
|The Hub won't power on.||The LED on the back of the Hub will take a few moments illuminate while the Hub powers up. Check the USB cable and power supply connections. Make sure the wall outlet has power. Unplug the Hub for a moment and then reapply power. Try a different USB power supply if needed.|
|The Hub device is not found by my smartphone or tablet.||Check your device's Bluetooth settings and make sure you have given the app permission to use Bluetooth. Kill the app, (completely close it), unplug the Hub for a moment and then plug it back in and reopen the app.|
|The Hub won't connect to my WiFi network.||Check your password and try again. Make sure you are connecting to a 2.4 GHz network. The Hub does not connect to 5G networks.|
|The Tempest device won't connect with the Hub. The Tempest device is not found.||Reset the Tempest and then re-add the device to the station Hub. On the base of the Tempest, press and hold the clear button until the LED flashes green, flip the power switch off and then back on. You should see a slow blinking green light indicating the device is ready to pair. Proceed in the app to add the device to your station Hub.|
|I'm not seeing data in the app after configuring the Tempest with the Hub.||Wait a couple minutes for data to come through. Check the Hub's LED, it should be either green (connected to WiFi) or blue (connected to a device over Bluetooth - supersedes green LED status).|
|My station (Hub) went offline, the LED is red. My station (Hub) keeps disconnecting from my WiFi network.||Make sure your WiFi network is active. Check the Hub's connection with your WiFi signal: the RSSI value listed under the Hub device in the app's status page. You may need to move your Hub closer to your router for a better signal. If you have connected the Hub to a signal repeater or range extender, the connection might be unstable. Temporarily unplug all range extenders and access points, then reconnect the Hub directly to the router's broadcasted WiFi network for a stable connection.|
|My Tempest device disconnected from my station (Hub).||Check the Tempest device's connection with your station Hub: the RSSI value listed under the Tempest device in the app's status page. You may need to move your Hub closer to your Tempest, near a window, or to another room for an improved connection between the two devices. Relocating Tempest may not be as feasible as moving the Hub.|