This guide is intended for:
- replacing an old Hub with a new Hub
- merging US & Canada versions of the AIR & SKY devices onto a new Hub (station)
- Retrieve the old hardware: Unplug the old hub. Physically retrieve the sensor device(s) that you want to migrate to the new station.
- Delete the old station: Open the app, go to settings > stations > slide the old station left, then confirm delete.
- Create a new station: In the app, set up a new station with the new Hub.
- At this point, you can add any new devices that have never been paired to either Hub (Tempest).
- If you don’t have any new devices to pair to the Hub, proceed to step 4.
- If you don't have any old devices to pair to the Hub, proceed to step 5.
- Reset each device:
Press & hold the translucent button on the base of each device until you get a flashing green LED. The LED will then slowly blink green indicating the device is ready to pair to a new Hub.
- Add device(s) to the new station Hub:
In the app, go to settings > stations > choose the new station > manage devices > tap “+” in the top right corner and add each device.
Merging Data from Legacy Smart Weather Stations to a Tempest System
Data cannot be merged from an AIR and SKY device to a Tempest device. If you want the historical AIR and SKY data on your station, you must attach the AIR and SKY to the new station Hub. Then, when the legacy devices are in place, we can recover the archived data to those devices. You don't need to continue operating the legacy devices, but they need to be added to the station Hub as placeholders for the historical data.
EU and AU/NZ versions of the legacy Smart Weather Stations
Originally, we expected complete compatibility with the original AIR and SKY devices with the new Tempest Hub. To our surprise, we discovered that this would not be possible due to some radio communication issues. The old AIR and SKY devices will not be able to be added to the new Hubs. We actually knew this would be a limitation with Australian versions of the devices due to recent changes of RF standardization but the incompatibility was unanticipated for European versions.
The only consequence of this is that owners of the original Smart Weather Station will need to keep the AIR and SKY operating on the old Hub. You can still operate multiple stations (Hub + devices) on your account; two Hubs, two stations with AIR + SKY on the old Hub and Tempest on the new Hub.
Re-linking the new station's WU data feed
You can easily use the same WU PWS station ID and Key - first unlink the old station on your account on the web: https://tempestwx.com
When the new station is set up and reporting, re-do the WU data feed on the website and use the same ID and key to link them. You'll need to grab the WU PWS ID and key from your account on WU under your weather station profile.