Looking for some more guidance with setup? Find some extra tips here and follow along with more detailed step by step instructions.
Initial Setup Tips
- Configure your hardware first: Finish initial setup using the mobile app before installing the Tempest device outdoors.
- Hub Placement: Plug the Hub (base station) into a power outlet indoors within range of your WiFi network signal. The Hub can only connect to a 2.4GHz network which offers greater range and less interference, it doesn't need the bandwidth 5GHz frequencies offer.
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE): You can access data locally from the Hub over Bluetooth but be sure you are within close proximity to the Hub. A blue LED will illuminate on the back of the Hub while the app is open and connected over Bluetooth to a smartphone or tablet. If using an Android device, be sure to enable location services in order for BLE services to function properly.
- Pairing mode: The Tempest device needs to be in pairing mode in order to properly connect with the station's Hub, indicated by a slow blinking green LED on the base of the device.
- Naming your station and devices: Give your station and sensor devices a familiar name if you wish; you can describe their locations in your town, neighborhood or backyard. Go into the app settings and choose the station and/or its connected devices to edit the information.
- The hardware (Hub + Tempest device) can only be configured to one account at a time. But you can still share your station data in a few ways. See Web Access & Sharing Data.
- Delete data after initial setup and installation: You're going to notice false rain readings while handling your Tempest. Wipe your station's observation record clean after you are finished mounting your Tempest device(s). Go to settings > stations > choose your station > manage devices > choose the device > advanced > delete all data.
Configuring your WiFi Hub and Tempest is a breeze!
You can have data flowing in the app in under 2 minutes...
Detailed Setup Instructions
Download the app and create an account
- Download the ‘Tempest Weather’ mobile app. Follow these links to get the Tempest Weather app in the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Enable Bluetooth on your smartphone or tablet and launch the app. If you are using an Android device, be sure to enable location services in order for Bluetooth connection services to function properly.
- Enter an email address and password. Write it down so you don’t forget.
The hardware (Hub + Tempest device) can only be configured to one account at a time. You can share the account login or the public URL generated for your station after it's set up.
Mobile app setup walk-through
- Now tap “Setup Station” and follow the guided steps in the app to configure your hardware to a 'station'. A station consists of a Hub and connected sensor devices, e.g. the Tempest device.
- Plug in the Hub. Tap the NEXT button and proceed with setup.
- Twist off the base of your Tempest device. (It's water tight - twist hard!). Tap NEXT and proceed.
- Enter your Hub's serial number (located on a sticker on the bottom of your Hub). Tap the NEXT button.
- Name your station. (We suggest you pick a name that describes the location such as "NW River Bend" or even the town/city and street name works great.)
- Tap "Set" to set the geographic location. A map should appear to pinpoint your geographic location (make sure location services on your phone or tablet are enabled). You can drag the map around to adjust the pinned location if necessary. Once the pin is in the desired location, tap the check mark in the top right corner. Tap NEXT and proceed.
Elevation above sea level is automatically determined based on the geographic location.
Connect the Hub to your WiFi network
- Gather your WiFi network name and password. Tap NEXT.
- Select your your 2.4GHz WiFi network. Enter your WiFi password. If you don’t see your desired WiFi network, tap "Refresh" in the upper right and/or reboot your WiFi router if you're still having trouble. For hidden SSID's select Manual Setup and enter the name of your network. See troubleshooting tips below if you're getting stuck.
- Success! Wait a minute or so for the data to start filling in.
Siting and Installation of the Tempest device
See the Siting and Installation Guide for complete installation instructions.
Although there is no rush to install your Tempest sensor device at an optimum long-term site, we recommend you place it outside in a convenient location to start measuring the weather!! For a quick and easy installation use the included flat base & wood screw with keyhole slot, or any standard camera mount (not included), to secure your Tempest.
Flat base, wood screw & keyhole slot
Flat base & ¼-20 camera