The Tempest System is compatible with the Rachio 3 Smart Sprinkler Controller through IFTTT and Weather Underground PWS network. You can use weather data from your Tempest System to be even more efficient with your watering.
Integrate through IFTTT
IFTTT (If This Then That) is a free and easy way to do more with data from your Tempest System. Link your Tempest account to IFTTT and use your weather data to trigger actions with your Rachio controller based on wind, rain and temperature measurements.
Visit the Tempest/Rachio IFTTT connection page to activate the rain delay, wind skip, freeze skip or freeze activate IFTTT applets. Or create your own applets using the ingredients and actions available in the Tempest & Rachio services! For example, set up a custom high temperature trigger for an extra watering cycle.
Integrate through Weather Underground PWS Network
Upload your Tempest data to Weather Underground to use it with Rachio's Weather Intelligence™.
Tempest can upload data directly to Weather Underground PWS network and connecting the data feed is simple. Here's how...
- Log in to your account on WeatherUnderground.com
Go to My Profile > My Weather Stations > Click ‘Add new PWS’
- Gather your new WU PWS ID and station key
- Sign in to your Tempest account on the web: https://tempestwx.com/
Go to settings > stations > select your station > Public Data > Link Weather Underground > enter your WU PWS station ID and key > make sure to toggle rain on > Link
It can take 30 minutes to an hour before WU starts publishing your Tempest data on their websites and apps. After about 48 hours of posting data, the WU PWS will be available to select in the Rachio app.
The option to link Tempest to WU is only available on the website, not the mobile app.
Note: If you do not see the option to link to WU, please contact us for assistance.
Mounting the Tempest to use with your Rachio Controller
Check out the Siting & Installation Guide for instructions on mounting your Tempest sensor device outdoors. We recommend installing the Tempest unit on a stable surface or pole, free of vibrations and at a height of around 6ft above the ground for ideal rain, wind and temperature measurements.
- Check your WU PWS page and make sure data is reporting.
- Check the IFTTT activity and note whether or not triggers are firing.
- Note from Rachio: If you are a Gen 1 or Gen 2 user, make sure you have accepted the free Weather Intelligence Plus upgrade. You can learn more about the free upgrade by reviewing this article.
Troubleshooting Tempest Measurements & Data
- See Troubleshooting Measurements and Data for information on Tempest device measurements.
Contact the Tempest support team for assistance if you're having any trouble with your Tempest Weather System or have questions on the data, accuracy or integrations with IFTTT & Weather Underground.