The Power Booster Accessory is made for Tempest sensor devices installed in locations where there is not enough sunlight to keep the device running at full battery with solar power alone. It works by recharging the internal battery in the Tempest device and will allow the Tempest to continue running in full power mode at maximum sampling frequency.
The Tempest is designed to operate on 100% solar power and does not normally need supplemental power. The four vertically-aligned solar panels, large internal battery and efficient power saving modes will keep most Tempest devices running year-round, even in locations with relatively low levels of sunlight.
Check your device's battery level in the app. If it's hanging around 2.3v or lower for long periods of time, you may benefit from using a Power Booster Accessory. For more information, see this article about the Tempest’s solar power and rechargeable battery.
Some Tempests may benefit from using the Power Booster Accessory. Determining whether or not supplemental power will be required to keep a Tempest device running optimally is simple. The Power Booster Accessory may be necessary for normal device operation...
- … if the device is located in complete shade throughout the day (due to buildings, trees or other obstacles).
- … if the device is located where sunlight is limited (due extended periods of low light or overcast weather).
If your Tempest location falls into any of the above categories, you may benefit from a Power Booster Accessory. If you are unsure, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Choose a location to mount the Power Booster Accessory (PBA) and decide whether you want to use the power adapter, batteries, or both.
The Power Booster Accessory (PBA) can operate with AA batteries or the included power adapter.
The PBA will use wall power if it’s available and falls back to battery power if wall power is unavailable.
The lower component of the PBA can optionally be mounted to a wall, post or pole using the included bracket with screws or zip ties. Check the distance from your mount to your Tempest. Cable extension kits are available in the WeatherFlow online store.
Although the PBA is water resistant, we recommend mounting it somewhere it will not be directly impacted by snow, rain and sun. If installed outdoors, mount the box with the barrel facing down to the ground.
Using the included tube of dielectric grease, apply a small amount of grease to all exposed metal components in order to protect from corrosion due to moisture.
Included with the Power Booster is a rubber plug and a spare. Fit the plug over the flat cable and slide it into the wafer base. The plug only fits one way.
Using the power adapter: If installed outdoors, apply dielectric grease to the barrel connector where it attaches to the PBA.
Remove the Tempest from its base and check the gold contacts on the bottom of the Tempest device (before the PBA is attached) for corrosion. You can use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. Apply dielectric grease to the four gold pins on the wafer.
Connect the upper component of the PBA (the “wafer”) between the Tempest device and the existing pole mount or flat base. Take care not to deform the four gold pins on the wafer.
The cable can exit the wafer from the side. Secure the cable with zip ties. On newer pole mounts only, (circa April 2022), the cable can also be threaded through the middle after removing the built in level.
If using batteries, remove the cover and install up to eight (8) AA batteries into the lower component, taking care to orient the battery polarity correctly, as indicated in the battery holder. We recommend lithium primary cells (such as Energizer Ultimate Lithium), but standard alkaline batteries will also work in locations that do not regularly see sub-freezing temperatures. Rechargeable batteries are not recommended.
If installed outdoors, apply dielectric grease to the battery contacts before inserting the batteries.
The power cable that connects the wafer to the lower component of the PBA is a weatherproof, 8-conductor flat network cable that plugs directly into the lower component.
If installed outdoors, apply dielectric grease to the contacts inside the jack.
Once fully installed and connected, the power booster should start charging the Tempest battery. If the internal battery was previously dead, the Tempest device will return to normal operation shortly.
The Power Booster Accessory is comprised of two parts, an upper component (the 'wafer') and a lower component (the 'box'). The upper component ('wafer') snaps between the Tempest device and either of the mounting attachments. The lower component ('box') holds the batteries (optional) and electronics. The two components are connected by a flat, weatherproof RJ45 cable, approximately 15ft (4.6m) in length. RJ45 cable extensions are available in the WeatherFlow-Tempest online store.
The PBA is powered by batteries and/or auxiliary power but only one power source is required. The device can operate on both batteries and auxiliary power connected to an outlet (if using both, the auxiliary power supply will be used as the primary source to keep the Tempest's battery charged and AA battery cell power will be reserved if the Tempest device needs a charge and auxiliary power is also unavailable.
Using (AA) Batteries
- The PBA can operate on 2x, 4x, 6x or 8x AA batteries.
- With zero solar input, 8x AA fresh batteries will provide enough power for 6-12 months of operation (dependent on weather, available sunlight, temperature and battery cell type)
- If fewer (2, 4 or 6) batteries are used, they must be installed in groups of two in one or more quadrants of the battery compartment.
- We recommend lithium batteries such as Energizer Ultimate Lithium for best performance in sub-freezing temperatures. Alkaline batteries will also work in above freezing conditions. Using rechargeable batteries is not recommended
- The power booster will start charging the Tempest device using AA batteries when the internal battery voltage drops below 2.42V.
Using Auxiliary Power
- Auxiliary power supply will keep the Tempest device's internal battery fully charged.
- The PBA can operate on 110-240 VAC or any 6-24 V DC/AC auxiliary power. The included 12V power adapter uses a 5.5x2.5mm barrel connector to the lower component which is approximately 5ft (1.5m) in length.
- Other power source options include...
- Any other 1A+, 6-24V power adapter
- 6V, 12V, 24V solar panel (no solar regulator required)
- 6V, 12V or 24V external battery system
- 12V AC landscape lighting system
- 24V AC security system
- or whatever is available in the above range
- Other power source options include...